Several years ago, I discovered microdermabrasion for the first time, and I just loved it. I particularly love the way my skin looked – fresh, lustrous, glowing, and dewy. I hadn’t seen my skin look this amazing in years. I was definitely hooked on this treatment.
However, I had one big problem – it’s really expensive. If you’re lucky, you can find a place that offers the treatment for about $100. The big expense made me start looking for a homemade, natural option that would offer me the results I wanted without breaking the bank.
- 1 tsp baking soda (will polish off dead skin cells)
- ½ tsp of raw honey (soothes, moisturizes, and heals the skin)
- rosewater (Read here on how to make your own rose water.)
- 1 drop lavender or tea tree essential oil (optional) – (anti-bacterial, prevents breakouts, and soothes irritation)
- Mix baking soda and raw honey in a small container (or you can use coconut oil instead), mix well to form a paste-like consistency (add your 1 drop of essential oil if using).
- Wash your face with warm water to open up the pores
- You need to take your time and make gentle circular moves at a slow pace, so that the aging lairs of skins are exfoliated, revealing a soft and radiant layer. Do this for at least 3- 5 minutes
- Rinse with cool water and and pat dry. You may notice some redness but this is normal and usually goes away after a few hours.
- Follow with a nice spritz of rose water and then moisturize with some healing argan oil or your favorite moisturizer.
- Repeat this process again in a week. In some cases, you may be able to do this more often if you don’t have sensitive skin. However, you should never use this home microdermabrasion more than 2x each week.
Rose Water is Important
Why should you add that spritz of rosewater after using the homemade microdermabrasion treatment?
Since baking soda is alkaline, it may upset your skin’s natural pH. Using a toner after the treatment will help you restore skin to its natural pH. The toner also helps to prevent very oily or dry skin, which you want to avoid. The rose water helps to balance your skin’s pH and helps to heal the skin, giving you the amazing, glowing skin that you want.