Many women, especially those with darker skin, want to enjoy a lighter complexion. In fact, markets in areas of the world, such as Africa, offer many different products designed to lighten skin, such as lotions, gels and creams.
Unfortunately, many of these products include dangerous chemicals that may result in negative side effects. That’s right, most of these lightening products contains chemicals such as hydroquinone and steroids which might be hazardous to our health. Some of the good ones can also be extremely expensive.
If you find one of the quality skin lighting creams, they can be prohibitively expensive. The good news is that you don’t have to spend big bucks for a quality lightening cream. With a few natural ingredients, you can make your cream without spending a lot of money.
To save some cash and ensure you are using a safe product, make this skin-lightening cream at home with inexpensive ingredients from your kitchen.
- 2-3 tbsp plain organic yogurt
- 3 or 4 almonds (or 1 tbsp almond powder)
- 2 tbsp. lemon/lime juice
- 1 tsp. honey (raw or pure honey is the best)
- Pinch of ground turmeric
- Crush the almonds to powder in a food processor or a blender. If you don’t have a food processor/blender, you can find pre-crushed almonds at most grocery stores sold as “almond flour” or “almond meal.
- Combine the almond powder with the yogurt, lemon juice, honey, and turmeric. Stir until blended thoroughly.
- Cleanse your face and apply this skin-lightening cream every night and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Feel free to leave it on overnight (but this is optional*). Do not apply during the day. Lemon/Lime juice can react negatively to sun exposure.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water and no soap. Use a washcloth to gently cleanse your face off.
- By applying this skin lightening night cream religiously, you should start to see dark spots lighten and your general skin tone even out.
**Store the cream in a tightly closed jar in the refrigerator and ensure you use it within seven days. Make small batches at a time to prevent contamination.
When skin-lightening cream is used at night, its skin tone-enhancing powers are increased. At night, skin goes through a recovery cycle in which hormones are released that increase blood circulation and open pores. This process makes it easier for skin creams to penetrate and be absorbed.